• Derbyshire Kittiwake Buxton in Pavilion Gardens
• Derbyshire 20 Hawfinch Cromford by Willersley Catle Hotel entrance 10:35
• Derbyshire Great Grey Shrike Beeley Moor at Wragg’s Quarry viewable from road 12:19 S45 0LR
• Nottinghamshire 14 Parrot Crossbill 13:55 SW/of Budby at Budby South Forest. From vis’ctr walk NW/to Major Oak then N/on bridleway past cattle field, go over crosstracks to next crosstracks then W/to area around & past cattle grids
• Nottinghamshire 14 Parrot Crossbill SW/of Budby at Budby South Forest. From vis’ctr walk NW/to Major Oak then N/on bridleway past cattle field, go over crosstracks to next crosstracks then W/to area around & past cattle grids
• Nottinghamshire Redhead Smew Hoveringham GPs this mrng SK699478
• Nottinghamshire 2 Hawfinch Rufford CP by main c/pk 09:00 NG22 9DG SK645656
• South Yorkshire Bittern Rother Valley CP at Pit-house West
• South Yorkshire 1+Waxwing 16:00 Sheffield at Crosspool on Manchester Road btw Sportsman Pub & Coldwell Lane
• South Yorkshire 2 Waxwing Sheffield at Crosspool on Manchester Road 1/2ml W/of Sportsman pub in rowan trees 09:30
• South Yorkshire 7 Two-barred Crossbill 1.5mls S/of Stocksbridge at Broomhead Resv on S/side just E/of Lower Bradfield turning 12:30 S36 4ZA SK255957
• South Yorkshire Great Grey Shrike Thorne Moors + Long-eared Owl in Brodsworth Community Woodland DN8 5SF SE723136
• South Yorkshire Adult Kumlien’s Gull Broomhead Resv in roost from 16:15 S36 4ZA SK255957
Thanks to Rod Key for the following:-
FOREMARK RESERVOIR A Bonxie was found by Martin Roome at 4.25 p.m. on 18th Jan when it came in and spooked all the roosting Gulls. This is only the second January record of Bonxie in the county with the last one being nearby at Swarkestone Lakes in 1985. When everything settled down 2 Iceland Gulls-a juvenile and a second winter were in the roost. On 15th Jan 3 Little Grebes, 29 Great Crested Grebes, 12 Cormorants, 1 Grey Heron, 14 Tufted Duck,7 Goosander and 24 Coot, whilst in the big roost were 5 Yellow Legged Gulls-4 ads and a 1st winter, 1 Caspian Gull-adult, a juvenile Iceland Gull and a second winter Glaucous Gull. The juvenile Iceland Gull again roosted on 16th Jan along with 4 Yellow Legged Gulls.
ASTON-ON-TRENT GRAVEL PITS On 16th Jan 1 Little Grebe, 17 Great Crested Grebes, 35 Cormorants, 10 Grey Herons, 2 Pink Footed Geese, 28 Canada Geese, 4 Shelduck,c165 Wigeon,5 Gadwall, c80 Teal, 1 Pintail,12 Shoveler, 7 Pochard, 85 Tufted Duck, 13 Goldeneye, 2 Smew-redheads, 2 Goosanders, 1 Common Buzzard, 1 Peregrine Falcon-male, 3 Common Gulls and 2 Great Black Backed Gulls. On 17th Jan 5 Smew-2male and 3 redheads. The Smew cannot be seen from the A50 and the pits are completely private.
WRAGGS QUARRY The Great Grey Shrike again present on 19th Jan
CROMFORD WHARF AREA On 16t Jan 11 Hawfinches were present with 20 on 19th Jan.
KINDER SCOUT Three/four Snow Buntings on 15th Jan.
ASHBOURNE A Red Kite flew over the allotments towards Kniveton on 16th Jan
EGGINGTON VILLAGE The Lesser Whitethroat still present on 17th Jan and more recent photos of the tail pattern show a similar pattern to the bird currently in Tynemouth which is thought to belong to one of the Eastern races.
DRAKELOW DWT RESERVE On 18th Jan 111 Cormorants and 200 Shovelers present. This must be one of the largest flocks of Shoveler ever seen in the county.
HURST RESERVOIR A Whooper Swan on 16th Jan.
CARSINGTON WATER On 19th Jan the 2 adult Great Northern Divers still present, 11 Whooper Swans from 0800-0945 when they flew off NW and 5 Scaup-3imm males and 2 imm females still off the dam wall. Also 2 Redshank and 13 Snipe.
For those who might want to catch up with Iceland Gull there is a DOS Field meeting at Albert Village Lake on 22nd Jan at 12.30.p.m. where the birds have been seen during the day