• Derbyshire Redhead Smew Aston-on-Trent GPs .View only from A50 gate DE72 2SP SK430292
• Derbyshire 2 Great Northern Diver Carsington Water DE6 1ST SK241515
• Nottinghamshire Bittern Attenborough NR in reedbed on Clifton Pond at 16:15 NG9 6DY SK516340
• Nottinghamshire Firecrest 10:50 NW/of Retford E/of A638 off Randall Way at Hallcroft Fisheries near metal pylon HU32. Park before main gate & walk to view
• Nottinghamshire 14 Parrot Crossbill SW/of Budby on Budby Common at Budby South Forest.Walk NW/on path twds Major Oak then N/on bridleway past cattle field on left past 2 xtracks then W/for 1/3ml byond cattle grid SK618688
• South Yorkshire Waxwing Sheffield at Brincliffe in private garden on Quarry Lane
Thanks to Rod Key for the following:-
CARSINGTON WATER The 2 Great Northern Divers still present on 7th Jan and both look like adults. Also on this date 1 Little Grebe, 26 Great Crested Grebes, 30 Cormorants, 466 Pochard, 1 Scaup-imm drake off Stones Island, 8 Goldeneye, c100 Lapwing, 1 Redshank. 1 Yellow Legged Gull-ad, c10 Common Gulls, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 1 Mistle Thrush, 2 Willow Tits, 1 Tree Creeper, c5 Tree Sparrows and c5 Goldfinch. On 4th Jan 5 Scaup.
CARR VALE DWT RESERVE The Siberian Chiffchaff still present on 8th Jan along with the nominate race bird. 2 Shelduck on 5th Jan with 1 on 7th, the Pink Footed Goose still present on 5th and the Wigeon flock built up to 262 on the 5th-yet another record site count. Small numbers of Goosander were noted on 3/4th with 8 flying South on 5th. A pair of Peregrine Falcons on 7th. A roosting Tawny Owl found on 3rd.
POOLS BROOK COUNTY PARK An adult Glaucous Gull on 3rd Jan.
LINACRE RESERVOIR 5 Whooper Swans on 3rd Jan.
ASTON-ON-TRENT GRAVEL PITS On 3rd Jan 3 Little Grebes, 11 Great Crested Grebes, 25 Cormorants, 5 Grey Herons, 7 Grey Lag Geese, c100 Canada Geese, 2 Shelduck, c75 Wigeon, 1 Gadwall, 133 Teal, c120 Mallard, 1 Pintail-fem, 10 Shoveler, 13 Pochard. 77 Tufted Duck, 24 Goldeneye, 2 Goosander, 1 Kingfisher and a Chiffchaff. Similar numbers on 9th Jan but the first returning Smew-a redhead was seen. Please note there is no access at all to this site and the Smew could not be seen from the A50 gate.
WESTON GRANGE FARM On 3rd Jan 46 Stock Doves, c100 Fieldfares and c25 Redwings in fields opposite Aston-on-Trent Cricket Ground.
AMBASTON GRAVEL PITS On 4th Jan 10 Mute Swans, 6 Wigeon, 17 Gadwall, 2 Teal, 9 Pochard, 17 Tufted Duck, 1 Green Woodpecker, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker and c40 Fieldfares
NEAR THULSTON On 4th Jan c50 Stock Doves.
KEDLESTON HALL On 5th Jan c50 Bramblings in the Car Park with 40 on 7th Jan. Also on 7th Jan 1 Grey Heron, 16 Grey Lag Geese, 27 Mandarin, 3 Gadwall, 7 Teal, 8 Tufted Duck, 1 Common Buzzard, c300 Black Headed Gulls and 4 Common Gulls.
LONG EATON GRAVEL PITS On 8th Jan 2 Little Grebes, 24 Great Crested Grebes, 6 Cormorants, 2 Little Egrets, 3 Grey Herons, 5 Wigeon, 3 Gadwall, 41 Pochard, 89 Tufted Duck, 8 Goldeneye, 6 Goosanders, 1 Water Rail and 3 Common Gulls.
ST CHADS WATER On 8th Jan 5 Wigeon, 4 Pochard, 13 Tufted Duck and 2 Bullfinch.
CHURCH WILNE RESERVOIR On 8th Jan 1 Little Grebe, 18 Great Crested Grebes, 4 Cormorants, 1 Wigeon, 5v Gadwall, 12 Pochard, 75 Tufted Duck,11 Goldeneye, 1 Common Buzzard, 202 Coot, 3 Common Gulls and an adult Herring Gull.