• Derbyshire 2 Kittiwake Carsington Water in roost 15:50 DE6 1ST SK241515
• Derbyshire Adult Great Northern Diver Carsington Water DE6 1ST SK241515
• Derbyshire Spotted Redshank Willington GPs flew SW 08:45 SK285274
• Nottinghamshire No Sign Pied Wheatear Collingham Pits by 10:00 NG23 7LZ SK816629
• Nottinghamshire Glossy Ibis 13:30 Lowdham S/of A612 in field WSW/of Peugeot garage NG14 7DS
• Nottinghamshire Glossy Ibis Lowdham S/of A612 in field WSW/of Peugeot garage 11:05 NG14 7DS
• South Yorkshire Greenland White-fronted Goose till 16:40 Thorne Moors on Goole Fields then flew south with 3,100 Pinkfeet DN8 5SF SE723136
• South Yorkshire White-fronted Goose Thorne Moors on Goole Fields + 2,000 Pink-footed Goose DN8 5SF SE723136
• South Yorkshire Red-breasted Merganser Winscar Resv 10:30 SE151025
Jim Mart Nature Reserve work party
This month’s work party will be the last organised one before Christmas, and the last in 2013. It presents an ideal opportunity for members to supplement their Fit-for-Christmas exercise programmes.
One of the tasks will be reducing the rushes which are threatening to take over the middle pond. Although the water is not deep it is probably going to be too close to the top of wellingtons for all but the tall, or those in possession of waders. We will also be working at the pumphouse lowering the surrounding ground level to below the damp-proof membrane. Both of these tasks will involve digging so please bring a spade if you have one. For those with back problems there are lighter jobs, such as raking the autumn leaves (and conkers) from the top pond and clearing the outflow channel from the hide pond.
Meet at the reserve on Saturday, 16th November, at 9:30am. We will finish around lunchtime.
All members are welcome and no previous experience is necessary. Please wear appropriate work clothes, stout shoes, boots or wellies, and gardening gloves or equivalent.
Organised work parties at the Jim Mart reserve are held on the morning of the third Saturday in every month, except for December. For further information, contact Peter Faulkner by email (
email@example.com) or by telephone (0784 214 8888).
Thanks to Rod Key for the following:-
WILLINGTON GRAVEL PITS A juvenile Gannet flew SW over the pits at about 10.45 a.m. on 9th Nov. It was also seen shortly after flying over Branston Gravel Pits in Staffordshire. Even better on 10th Nov an imm, Glossy Ibis arrived for a brief sojourn before flying off SE at about 10.45 a.m. towards the R.Trent. This is the 3rd record in just 8 days in the county. Probably all relating to the same bird, At 8.45 a,m, on 11th Nov a Spotted Redshank flew SW.
CARSINGTON WATER An adult Great Northern Diver was found on 9th Nov and was still present on 11th Nov.
WRAGGS QUARRY The Great Grey Shrike still present on 10th Nov.
OGSTON RESERVOIR A Short Eared Owl circled the Reservoir mid morning on 19th Oct having been seen a few minute before flying SE over Highordish. The Glossy Ibis re-appeared here about 4.00.p.m. on 8th Nov but was flushed at 4.30.p.m. by nearby gun shots.
KEDLESTON PARK LAKE 5 Whooper Swan son 10th Nov.
DERBY BUS STATION A report of 8 flying over mid morning on 10th Nov.